Sponsored by Mid-America Cardiology, University of Kansas Hospitals and University of Kansas Medical Center Continuing Education
Co-sponsored by the
Heart Rhythm Society and
The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (pending)
The purpose of this symposium is to update medical practitioners on the future of Left Atrial Appendage (LAA) Procedures. Participants will learn about various research studies regarding Left Atrial Appendage exclusion that includes both occlusion and ligation types of devices and gain a better understanding of the role that the LAA plays in atrial arrhythmias. An evolution of percutaneous techniques in LAA occlusion or exclusion will be discussed. An overview of the role of cardiac imaging in Left Atrial Appendage exclusion will be reviewed. The balance of anticoagulation and bleeding in the high risk patient population will be provided. A variety of topics will provide specialists and generalists an update on the evolution of left atrial appendage strategies and patient care.
The International Symposium on Left Atrial Appendage is designed for physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals in the fields of electrophysiology, cardiology, family and internal medicine.
At the completion of this symposium, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Left Atrial Appendage (LAA) including the anatomy and pathophysiology
- Describe systemic thromboembolization and the role of LAA in patients with atrial fibrillation
- Express a working knowledge of the role of the Left Atrial Appendage in atrial arrhythmias origin and maintenance
- Examine LAA ligation and occlusion technology
- Discuss the past, present and future of surgical Left Atrial Appendage exclusion
- Evaluate the use of LAA ligation as an adjunctive therapy for AF ablation
- Review the role of oral anticoagulation in stroke prophylaxis
- Understand the systemic side effects of LAA ligation/occlusion technologies
- Discuss practical issues related to procedural performance
- Appropriate case selections for pharmacological and interventional therapies for stroke prophylaxis
Call for Abstracts
Be a part of ground breaking research and share it with us at the First International Symposium on Left Atrial Appendage. We are looking for abstracts on Left Atrial Appendage Interventions/Treatments for the symposium. If you have an abstract and would be interested in presenting during the symposium, please send your abstract to Donita Atkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions must be in by February 1, 2013. If your poster will be displayed, you will be notified by e-mail by February 15, 2013.
Location and Lodging
All events will take place at the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, 401 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Missouri.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the InterContinental at the daily rate of $159.00 for single or double occupancy. To take advantage of the special rate, call 1-866-856-9717 by February 8, 2013, and mention that you will be attending the KU Medical Center International Symposium on Left Atrial Appendage. Via the web, go to www.kansascityic.com, click on "reservations" on the left hand side towards the top of the page. Enter arrival and departure dates. Your three letter group code is KUM. After February 8, 2013, room availability and rates cannot be guaranteed.
View a Google® Map.
Financial contributions and supporters of this program will be acknowledged in print at the symposium.
Commercial vendors are invited to exhibit at this meeting. Limited exhibit space will be available. Call Julie Darrington at 913-588-4581 or e-mail email@example.com for an application or more information.