The online certificate program in Process Instrumentation and Control (I&C) consists of three modules covering the different phases of I&C from a nonmathematical and practical point of view. It includes basic concepts, engineering, and installation of control equipment.
The attendees will learn about:
- Basics of I&C, including different control functions, types of control loops, and continuous vs. discrete control.
- Identification and symbols used in I&C.
- Different types of field instrumentation, their principles of operation, their advantages and disadvantages and the application of the different types of sensors for flow, level, pressure and temperature measurements.
- Requirements for control rooms and the design of control panels.
- Concepts and implementation of alarm and trip systems.
- Different types of computer-based control systems, including PLCs and DCSs, as well as basic requirements for good operator interface.
- Documentation required for I&C for front-end engineering and detail design.
- Requirements for a successful installation, instrument checkout and controller tuning.
- Project implementation and project management.
- Decision-making tools, namely, Auditing, Evaluation of Plant Needs, Justification, and Control System Evaluation.
Who Should Enroll
This certificate program is for those who want to learn about the I&C field in a condensed time frame and from a practical point of view and/or for those who simply want to communicate technically with I&C personnel. The program is designed to provide attendees with sufficient knowledge to move into the field of I&C. It is applicable to technical and supervisory personnel. It is presumed that participants come from a setting where they can apply the knowledge received.
Why Choose an Online Course
There are many advantages to an online course:
- Minimum time away from the workplace
- No travel and related expenses
- Flexible study time and work pace
- Convenient e-mail access to the instructor
Why Choose This Certificate Program
Upon successful completion of the three program modules, the certificate awarded to you by the University of Kansas will document your specialized education and knowledge in Process Instrumentation and Control. It can serve as evidence of your qualifications and competence to present or potential employers.